Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease (autoimmune diseases are those that are due to faulty immune responses towards own body) that causes inflammation in the body which is visibly reflected in the skin. The exact cause for the development of psoriasis is not exactly known but there are certain triggers similar to migraine that promotes and affects the course of development of psoriasis. We will be covering various aspects of psoriasis and most importantly, how can we shorten our suffering by making a mindful switch to homeopathy and focus on our holistic wellness.
Knowing Psoriasis and its triggers
Psoriasis an autoimmune is mainly manifested on our skin with various signs of inflammation such as plaques and scales. This occurs because the overactive immune system triggers excessive skin cell generation. In psoriatic patients, the phenomenon of skin cell renewal which is generally done in a period of one month approx starts occurring as early as 4-5 days. This leads to a large number of newer cells piled up below the older ones. These older skin cells are still not old enough to be shredded and hence they pile-up giving a plaque-like appearance that may differ from person to person and their skin type.
Risk factors & triggers:
Researchers are keen to find out the reasons for faulty genetics which leads to switching of the immune response to the self. Few factors and triggers suggested are
- Family history
- Skin type
- Stress particularly long-standing emotional stress.
- Illness particularly streptococcus infection or other inflammatory infections such as tonsillitis, bronchitis, etc.
- Other triggers may be the weather as the cold weather makes your skin more dry and itchy.
- Warm weather and humidity may seem to improve this skin condition.
- Injuries to the skin may result in psoriasis development in that particular location.
- Certain food allergies may trigger its development.
Associating complaints or symptoms of psoriasis
The symptoms of psoriasis may vary slightly from its type to type but few definitive features would be:
- Plaque formation, these look reddish silver scales that are very dry. These plaques are itchy and may be painful in some people, they itch to the extent and are dry that even their cracking and bleeding in points are seen in the majority.
- Psoriasis sometimes affects the finger and toenails, which leads to their pitting, dirty-looking dry skin underneath. These nails easily break off or crumble from the living nail bed.
- Psoriatic patches may occur on the scalp with similar symptoms of dryness and itch but never spreads to cross the hairline, always limited to the scalp. Never found over-face a big relief.
- A favorite location for plaque development is the scalp, joints such as elbow, knee, foot, nails, etc.
- Psoriasis when chronic and left untreated for years may complicate into a condition known as Psoriatic Arthritis, the main symptoms being excessive pain and swelling in the joints. This requires immediate treatment, ignorance may lead to unreversible dissed conditions and lifetime drug dependency.
- Always know your triggers and if you have a positive family history of psoriasis always keep a check on your health and follow a holistic lifestyle.
Homeopathy and its role as a cure for psoriasis
Homeopathy is nowadays suggested to be the first choice for treating psoriasis. Psoriasis manifests itself mainly as a skin condition but is due to a faulty immune system. Hence, its treatment requires an approach where the person and factors affecting are studied right from the start from the zygote stage. This is beautifully done in homeopathy, including the gestational and post-delivery history of the mother including her physical and mental status. A homeopath will leave no stone unturned to find out the emotional causes, triggers, and history, and once you know where it comes from treatment is easier and the prognosis is better.
Certain genetic predisposition which the infant may carry from the womb makes one prone to the development of psoriasis. When later in life such individuals come across any emotional trauma or stress or triggers then this latent predisposition gets active. This deeply seated disease needs a systematic & holistic mode of treatment that does not carry side effects of immunosuppressants. Homeopathy is a perfect choice, being the science of minimum and dynamic doses no ill effects can ever be noticed if done under a qualified doctor’s supervision.
Some major homeopathic remedies that have shown amazing response when prescribed as an individualized remedy are:
Scope of homeopathy
Approximately 1.5% to 2.5% of people in the general population suffer from psoriasis including both males and females. The disease gets triggered at any age but mostly in middle-aged people. Homeopathy offers wide scope when started on time it can reduce the suffering, spreading, and complications of the disease. When the person suffers from extensive psoriasis it takes longer for the lesions to be treated completely. Hence, earlier you adopt a holistic approach through homeopathy easier the recovery.
Also, conventional drugs such as steroids in turn lowers immunity which somehow helps to reduce psoriasis condition but promotes some other disease process somewhere. Never choose to suppress your disease condition, always choose cure.
Living with psoriasis
Psoriasis being a chronic disease which means it stays with us for a long time hence it touches many areas of our well-being including physical, mental, emotional, social, and financial as the conventional treatment may create a burden on your pocket. It isn’t easy to live with it as you can’t keep the pain up to yourself at any cost as the visible signs can’t be hidden and affect your relationships. Emotional stress may take over emotional well-being. This may precipitate emotions of loneliness which may lead to depression and further. So, sometimes proper counseling especially where there is a demand and management for skin health like taking care of your hydration, sunscreen, and keeping your skin moisturized is important. If an individual is tough to adapt to a healthy lifestyle which is an amalgamation of good diet, exercise including meditation, and teaching how to maintain emotional wellness we can defeat many chronic illnesses especially autoimmune psoriasis being one of them. So, choose your health and well-being above anything else, opt for the cure through homeopathy for psoriasis.