Everything you need to know about Prenatal Massage
Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful experiences in a woman’s life. But, it comes with lots of troubles and challenges. Bringing a new life into existence is not an easy task. The nine months are the most challenging time of a woman’s life. Pregnant women face health issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, fatigue and many other hormonal issues. However, you can alleviate these problems with prenatal massage.
Prenatal massage- A part of prenatal care
Just like proper diet and medication is considered as prenatal care, massage is also an essential part of it. Massage ensures the mental and physical health of the mother and the fetus. It also helps in many ways and works as a health supplement.
According to research, it is proved that prenatal massage reduces anxiety, depression, joints pains in pregnant ladies and it helps induce labor to promote chances of normal delivery.
In this article, we will discuss prenatal massage in detail. Let’s start with its benefits.
Benefits of Prenatal massage
Mentioned below are some of the key benefits of Pre-natal massage:
- Regulates hormones
Sudden increase and decrease of certain hormones in the body of a pregnant woman cause immense distress. Here, prenatal massage can offer relief. It alters the stress-causing hormones to ease the body.
If a pregnant woman receives prenatal massage twice a week, her norepinephrine and cortisol (hormones that lead to stress) are reduced and dopamine and serotonin (hormones that provide relaxation) are increased. Prenatal massage also promotes proper regulation of hormones which reduces the chances of any complication during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Reduces swelling
Edema or swelling in the joints is one of the most common problems faced by pregnant women. Lower blood pressure and increased pressure on blood vessels are prime causes of swelling. A prenatal massage helps in the stimulation of soft tissues, which reduces the collection of fluid in swollen joints. It also removes toxins.
- Relieves nerve pain
Nerve pain is faced by women during the third trimester because uterus relaxes on the pelvic and lower back muscles. Its pressure causes swelling in the nearby nerves. Prenatal massage therapy relaxes the muscle inflammation and reduces sciatic nerve pain.
- Reduces back pain
- Reduces joint pains
- Improves circulation
- Reduces edema
- Reduces muscle tension and headaches
- Reduces anxiety
- Induces better sleep
Precaution to be taken during a prenatal massage
Prenatal massage is very much helpful if taken in the right way. However, pregnancy is a very delicate period. Hence, women need to take extra care of everything from lying position, the pressure applied to the body, etc.
The precautions that must be taken during prenatal massage-
- Always go to a professional prenatal therapist for massage. They can give you the best advice and safe massage.
- Take to your doctor before going for a massage.
- Always take massage in a side-lying position as it is the best position to sleep during pregnancy.
- If you feel extra pressure on your stomach area, you must tell it to the therapist.
- If you feel uncomfortable at any point of massage, stop immediately.
- Always listen to your body. If you find any negative sign after or during the massage, you should immediately stop it.
Is it safe to take prenatal massage?
Although prenatal massage therapy is safe during different stages of pregnancy, few massage therapists do not recommend it during the first trimester. That’s because in starting 12 weeks, there are higher chances of miscarriages. So, it is better to start your massage from the second trimester and reap the benefits.
Dos and Donts of getting a prenatal massage
Here are some of the dos and don’ts:
- Find professional massage therapists. Don’t go for any maalish wali aunty.
- Avoid taking massage during the first trimester.
- Use coconut oil, olive oil, or gentle moisturizer for massage.
- Do a patch test before applying any oil on your body as many women are allergic to some oil.
- Don’t use rosemary, oregano, peppermint, thyme and sage oils as they can induce uterine contraction.
- Avoid massage on certain points on your ankle and waist as it can induce uterus contractions.
- In the case of diabetes, high blood pressure, or any other complication, ask your doctor if it is safe for you to take the massage.
- Go for Swedish massage during pregnancy as it is mild and it relaxes muscle tension, improves blood circulation and relieves pains.
- The best time duration of prenatal massage is 1 hour but you can reduce it according to your comfort.
- In the case of the high risk of miscarriage or any previous case, you must avoid massage.
- Don’t take massage in case of any skin injury, wound or eczema.
Are you pregnant? Want to relax? Then, just book your prenatal massage with Souls. We know traveling is one of a troublesome tasks during pregnancy, hence we will provide you the best prenatal massage at your home. You just have to book your massage session and relax. Our massage therapist will come to your decided place.
Souls is a team of expert massage therapists who have deep knowledge of all types of massages and they ensure utmost safety during the massage. So, don’t wait, book your massage today and have a happy and relaxing pregnancy.